5 Celebrities Who Say They Were Ugly Kids

Growing up, it can take time for anyone to get confortable in their new adult bodies, and these 5 stars all felt like they were ugly. Jessica Biel says she worked on herself and turned things around, while Rosie Huntington-Whiteley believes she made some questionable style choices that made her a bad looking kid. Nicole Scherzinger just felt awkward until she figured herself out, while Uma Thurman thought she was a nerd.


Lady Gaga was bullied as a teenager for being fat and she says she also had a big nose: “I had a very big nose, very curly brown hair and I was overweight. I got made fun of. School bullies called me fat and laughed at my appearance.”



Uma Thurman felt ugly until she grew into her features: “I had baby fat and a big nose, big lips and big eyes that looked like they were taped to the side of my head. I was tall, really young and I had a funny name. I had not grown into my features. I was just trying to make it from history to English class and still feel good. I didn’t feel doors were going to fly open for me for being cute, so I worked hard at everything.”



British model Rosie made some style mistakes when she was younger and though she was ugly: “I was a bit of an Ugly Betty when I was 15.” Rosie says she would attend model castings “in trainers, with braids, a ton of make-up, plucked eyebrows and I had braces”.



Nicole felt awkward and ugly as a teen, but soon figured out who she was which gave her more confidence: “Growing up, I was incredibly shy. And awkward. And lanky! I always thought I was an ugly duckling. I guess it worked out OK in the end. Ultimately though, true beauty shines from within. I know joining the group helped me to find out who I am – and I love the message that any woman can be strong, confident and sexy.”


Jessica felt ugly as a teenager, but decided to work on herself to make those who bullied her jealous: “I wasn’t considered attractive at all as a teenager. I was kind of an ugly duckling. But when I did Pilates competitions, I started to work on my appearance and body and was determined to make some of the nasty girls who tortured me feel jealous.”